viernes, 18 de febrero de 2011

Morrocan Couscous alla Ceuta

Due to the curious geographic positioning of my hometown (Ceuta), the recipes from my city are influenced by that of the marrocan neighbour. 



 As in my house we have always kept the best of what we could have, it is my pleasure today to share with the world my Mother’s Cous Cous.
Each person visiting my house is received with this amazing dish that my mother nails! and I (very proud of her and her cooking skills) always ask her to cook it for those friends that come and visit me.
Learning to cook this dish was an amazing experience, not only for the autonomy that knowledge provides me with, but also because I can maintain the culinary heritage of my family, and share it with all of you.
Now that the sentimental part is over, I recommend you to have this dish with a Coke and a good walk as dessert, as it can be a bit heavy.

INGREDIENTS for 6 people

MORROCAN ONION SAUCE:
  • 4 onions sliced in julianne.
  • 1 cup of olive oil.
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • 1 teaspoon of freshly grated cumin.
  • 2 teaspoons of morrocan spices: if you dont find them, you can substitute them with 1 teaspoon of pepper and 1 teaspoon of cumin.
  • 1 bay leaf.
  • salt
  • a bunch of raisins.
SLOW COOKED MEAT:
  • 1 kilogram of meat cut in big dices.
  • 2 onions sliced in julianne.
  • 3 tomatoes peeled, diced and without seeds.
  • 1 bayleaf.
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin.
  • 1 teaspoon of cilantro.
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • 1 teaspoon of morrocan spices.
  • 1 cup of olive oil
  • 500g of cous cous.
PREPARATION:
  1. In a pot at medium-low heat cook the onions with the olive oil and a pinch of salt to make the onions sweat. After 3-4 minutes, add all the spices. Cook for 30 minutes and add the raisins. Cook for 5 more minutes and done!.
  2. In another pot, at high heat cook the meat with the olive oil, and once the oil boils lower the heat to low.
  3. Add all the vegetables and spices, with a glass of water.
  4. Let the meat cook covered for 2 hours, making sure that if the sauce overreduces, adding a glass of hot water.
  5. Cook the couscous following the package instructions.
  6. Plate by placing the couscous in the bottom, the meat on top and surrounded with the onion souce. Decorate with some fried almonds.
Bon profit!


P.S. Which is your mother's dish? Do you want to share it with me?

1 comentario:

  1. Llegué hasta aquí de una forma rocambolesca. Me encanta este blog y con tu permiso me quedo disfrutando de esta cocina.
    Buen día

    ResponderEliminar